Re: spit body removal

To: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: spit body removal
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:01:54 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
John:

The following inserted comments are strictly mine - there are always a
number of ways to accomplish this part of the project.

SUCHAK wrote:

> Hey gang....
>
> I'm going to be removing the body on my Spitfire and am wondering a few
> things before I do.
>
> First, just how heavy is this bugger?  Assuming it's only an empty tub,
> doors and deck lid removed, no windshield or anything.  Can two
> reasonably strong men lift and carry it?

        Yes, but three would be better. Ideally, one at the rear
        and one in front of each door.  Be SURE you're floors and
        sills are structurally sound, and brace the door openings
        before you lift, unless you want to risk folding the tub
        in half!  Personally, if sills/floors need replaced, I would
        do while still on the frame, then remove the body.

> Speaking of rolling the frame out, will I be able
> to do that without the radius arm being mounted to the tub??

        You should be able to when carefully rolling the assembly.

> I plan to rest the body on some tall stands while I sandblast and paint
> it.  Any suggestions on jackstand placement?  Obviously, I'd like to
> avoid bending or buckling any panels in this process.

        If I were using jack stands, I would span a 4X4 or 4X6 timber
        across pairs, and attach to the top of the stands.  This
        will more evenly distribute the tub weight.  You will also
        need to have taller support at rear, if you want the tub to
        be fairly level.

> Finally, a question of aesthetics..  I'm probably going to paint the car
> red again, and am wondering if I should paint it red inside, out and
> underneath, or would a contrasting color on the underside of the floors,
> wheel-wells and the firewall look cool, say black, or maybe even white?
> The frame will be black.  (Or would it look weird?)  Anybody ever see
> anything like what I'm talking about?

        Can't comment on this one... I'm a purist, and would
        replicate the original car as much as possible.  Frame
        would be body color, floors would match body, etc.  But,
        each to his own, right??

Good luck!

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6 (driver)