Major trim kit

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Major trim kit
From: WINDOWSEET@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:20:24 -0400 (EDT)
Hello, listers;

I've seen a feww postings lately about the lack of originality in the trim
pieces being sold by VB. I just receieved mine a few days before leaving for
my current stay in Canada so I haven't had the opportunity to install any of
it or draw my own conclusions. However, lacking many of the sealing gaskets
around doors and bonnet (discarded by previous DPO's and body shop operators)
I will be happy to have "any" fuzzy trim....regardless of originality!!! <g>
 Seriously, though I too wonder about the British Motor Heritage seal of
approval. I believe that these vendors are invaluable in keeping our cars on
the road but I would like to know up front whether I am getting a NOS item, a
reproduction or "close enough for government work" replacement for the
original. In a lot of cases a little measuring and research with a J.C.
Whitney catalog can provide weather stripping that out performs the original.
Unless you are building or maintaining a concours vehicle I would accept a
certain amount of leeway in restoring my GT6+.

One thing I did notice after receiving my Major Trim Kit was that I had to
take some time to figure out which pieces fit the description in the catalog
since the trim kit had no packing list or instructions for fitting. One
lister noted that the only thing his major Trim Kit would fit was the trash
can!!!! I hope I have better luck with mine but from initial inspection I can
see that I'll be ordering quite a few clips, etc. The wheel well seals appear
as if they should be attached with spring clips but those will mar the paint
and promote rusting. So, I won't be using them.

I also have to admit that your level of mechanical aptitude has a lot to do
with the amount of frustration in installing these kits but if we are going
to be marketed products that supposedly conform to the original specs then
that is what we should be receiving. I don't know that a kit like this from
TRF would be any better but I would be interested in hearing from anyone who
has bought one from them for a GT6. If the quality and fit is better I would
consider returning this kit and purcghasing one from TRF (if it is available-
still waiting for TRF to publish the long awaited GT6 catalog- and TR4 owners
think they are the "forgotten Triumph!")

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Winnipeg MB Canada