Starter bendix's

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Starter bendix's
From: drew@pixar.com
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 06:45:57 -0700
Good morning everyone,

The starter bendix on my '58 TR3A seems to be getting a bit sticky.
This morning it pretty much refused to spin out and engage the flywheel.
I guess it's time to pull the started and see whats going on. I seem
to recall from my earlier days that oil and grease shouldn't be used
to lube the twisted spline that the bendix slides on since they can
pick up dirt and stuff and cause the bendix to stick. Instead, it was
best to use a dry lubricant like powdered graphite. What are other
people using these days? What about the teflon based sprays?

I think I need to nurse this starter along for as long as I can since
I believe that it's one of the earlier round nose ones. From what
I understand, rebuild kits and replacement starters aren't available
and the alternative is to switch to one of the later ones which also
means switching to a later transmission case. Is all this correct?
Anyone know of any parts for earlier starters?

Thanks for all the help so far,
Drew

--
Drew Rogge