Re: Starter bendix's

To: <drew@pixar.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Starter bendix's
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 16:59:55 -0700

----------
> From: drew@pixar.com
> To: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Starter bendix's
> Date: Thursday, September 11, 1997 6:45 AM
>
> <snip>
>
> I think I need to nurse this starter along for as long as I can since
> I believe that it's one of the earlier round nose ones. From what
> I understand, rebuild kits and replacement starters aren't available
> and the alternative is to switch to one of the later ones which also
> means switching to a later transmission case. Is all this correct?
> Anyone know of any parts for earlier starters?

Drew-

If you are one of US...the unscrupulous modifiers...you can use your old
trans case with the new starter.

OK, all you purists, hit the delete button now.

All gone ? OK, here's what ya gotta do. I have never done this myself of
course, but have taken many apart that were this way. All you need to do is
to bore a hole in the case so that the longer extended shaft section of the
starter can "stick thru" the trans case. You need about a 1" or so hole. To
be really good about this, you should then build a little "cage" to cover
the starter extension so that no dirt, water etc can get in there. Either
weld it on, or epoxy it. Since your gonna have the trans out to do this,
the next part is easier. You will have to use the later TR4 style flywheel
as it has one more lousy tooth than the earlier ring gear (couldn't they
have kept it the same ????). Of course as long as you have it out, you were
gonna put a new clutch in there anyway, weren't you ? Well good thing as
you will have to put the later style clutch assembly in to go with the
later flywheel. Don't forget to get a new tob sleeve too as the new clutch
requires the newer style bearing, which, of course, only fits on the later
sleeve.

All in all...a piece-o-cake...
     Nick in Nor Cal

 Thanks for all the help so far,