Re: O/D 3-RAIL J-TYPE TRANS FIT HERALD?

To: VATAINC@aol.com
Subject: Re: O/D 3-RAIL J-TYPE TRANS FIT HERALD?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:42:09 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 VATAINC@aol.com wrote:

> I'm looking at purchasing an O/D 3-rail J-type trans. to install in a ' 66
> Herald 1200. The seller said he purchased the O/D trans from a Spitfire owner
> who was not happy with the gearing and because of this thinks the unit my be
> out of a GT6. The number on the right side of the trans as it sits in the car
> is
>   FK 48900 .He has called TRF for assistance in identifying the trans and
> they told him the numbers do not match any of their listings and suggest it
> may have been mismarked. Can anyone help identify this unit so I can
> determine if it will work? Thanks you for help!

With an "F" as the first letter, most likely it's some variant of the
Spitfire Mk. IV transmission. You'd likely need the Spitfire clutch,
although it would likely fit your present one, and you'd need to do the
usual change of rear mount, slight body and tunnel mod's, shortened
driveshaft with bigger U-joint yoke flange, stuff like that. But it would
be fairly easy to convert the Herald.

IMS, big difference between this and what you have is in first gear. The
Mk.IV 1st gear isn't quite the stump-puller that the Herald's 1st gear
is. And, of course, you gain a synchro in 1st gear, and that overdrive....

--Andy