Alternator Conversion Instructions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Alternator Conversion Instructions
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:55:14 -0400 (EDT)
Fellow listers:

As a result of the recent discussions on converting the Lucas alternators and
generators to a modern, more powerful unit, I have written a comprehensive
set of electrical instructions for making the swap. Ken Streeter has been
kind enough to place them on the VTR web site. They can be found at:

      http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator/conversions.html

The instructions now cover TR models from the TR2 through the TR6, with
instructions for other models to follow. There are basically three parts to
the instructions: A generic section covering alternators in general, specific
instruction for the electrical portion of the swap for the above mentioned
models, and a section for actuall swaps made by individuals.

The specific instructions are for the GM unit, but the generic instructions
should be an aid for those who want to use a different brand, and are cross
referenced to the GM unit. By using the cross reference, along with the GM
specific instructions, it should be easy to install a different brand. I used
the GM unit because it is the one I am most familiar with, the cheapest, and
most readily available. There are many other units that fit physically better
than the GM, but I am not familiar with them.

Many of you have made the conversion, with GM and other units, so I invite
you to write up a description of the swap, and send it to Ken for addition to
the data base. Of particular interest would be the mechanical details of the
installation, and an identification of the electrical terminations.

I hope this is of some interest to you, and I will be happy to answer any
questions you may have, if I can.

Thanks,

Dan (happily charging along with a 61 amp alternator in his TR6 ) Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74