Re: Miatas again!

To: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Subject: Re: Miatas again!
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:07:14 -0500
Cc: SBollen728@aol.com, ybullet@flash.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Paul Burr wrote:

> SBollen728@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > Steve, I suspect a lot of people secretly wish the Miata was a
> British LBC so
> > they could feel comfortable about buying one!
>
> Actually, with me it's never been the car, just the the majority of
> buyers it attracts. I know there will be exceptions, but the majority
> are clueless to the car's best feature- the drop top.
> I'll let my sexist born in the 50's side show (donning a Nomex suit as
> speak). Way back when, in my teenage years, we had a term for cars
> that
> had a majority of female owners. We called them "Chick Cars".
> The cars were bought because they were "cute". Performance and
> functionality were never factors in the purchase.
> The leader of the list in 1969 was the VW Beetle Convertible. NO self
> respecting male back then would be caught dead owning one. Next were 6
> cylinder Mustangs. The Karmen Ghia. Those goofy Fiat 850's. And (I'll
> get roasted for this) the Spitfire. The list goes on, and it's being
> proudly carried into the next century, taped to the raised top of a
> Miata!

Paul,
I, for one, wanted a Spitfire Mk III really bad in the early 70's and
when I first got married, I wanted a GT6.  Never got the Mk III, almost
bought a GT6. I wound up with a 64 Spitfire, in '79.  Being a mid 40s
guy, I never realized that this was a chick car.  Of course most of the
ladies I was aquainted with drove 302 Mustanges,383 Plymouth Satalites,
red Roadrunners,and Hurst Olds.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4
Houston