RE: Lucas Sports Coil

To: "'DANMAS@aol.com'" <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Lucas Sports Coil
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:56:29 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Hi Dan,

I have some followup questions regarding the Sports Coil conversion you
describe below. (My car is a 76 - real late one at that).

The 76 wiring diagram (I assume you have one) shows a pink-white wire
from a white wire on the starter switch. This pink-white is then
"transformed" into a white-yellow wire via part #9 - "ballast resistor
wire".

My coil is configured as follows (I am reasonably sure it is the stock
configuration). A white-yellow wire from the harness is in parallel with
a wire wrapped in a "shellacqued shoelace" (for lack of a better
description). Both these wires are joined with a solderless lucar
connector and are attached to a "ceramic" thing which is attached to the
coil mount bracket. Then a blue wire goes from this ceramic piece to the
positive terminal on the coil.

Does this seem like a stock set up? Is the shoelace wire the resistor
wire? Or is the ceramic piece the thing which adds the resistance? How
do I convert this set up accept the Lucas Sport coil? The sport coil has
no ceramic external pieice like the Lucas coil in there now.

Thanks for any help you might provide!

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada