Re: Lucas Sports Coil

To: peterz@merak.com
Subject: Re: Lucas Sports Coil
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 23:27:39 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-09-15 22:24:48 EDT, peterz@merak.com writes:

> I follow all you say except one thing. On my diagram (from Bentley) for
>  the 75-76 (it combines them into one diagram), I cannot see the starter
>  solenoid. The white red wire comes off the ignition/starter switch (is
>  this the solenoid?) #4, and goes to the starter relay #7.
>  snip>

Peter:

The solenoid is the round item on top of the starter, item #8. It is not
labeled, as it is an integral part of the starter. If you notice, the w/r
wire also goes to the solenoid.

>  What guage/rating of wire should I buy for this purpose? I will be
>  soldering the connection together and then placing heat shrink tubing
>  around the joint. If I can somehow run it along the harness and just
>  branch off the same place where the current white-yellow and shoelace
>  wires branch off I will do that as well to keep a clean appearance.

I would use 14 gauge wire (or 12 Ga, if you want to be very conservative). I
think the best place to connect to a white wire is at the fuse box. You might
even find a spare terminal there. Otherwise, it doesn't matter which white
wire you connect to. I very strongly recommend routing new wires alongside
the existing harness, and tying it to the harness with cable ties. The
manufacturer went to a lot of trouble to find the best routing, free of sharp
edges and other sources of chaffing, so it just makes sense to take advantage
of all their work. It is very easy to route from the fuse box, along the
harness, to the coil.

>  BTW, your suggestion was different from that of Barry Schwartz who
>  suggested that the ceramic thing is the resistor.

When Barry speaks, I listen, because he knows what he is talking about. In
this case, though, he is mistaken. On many of the American cars of that era,
the resister is indeed a ceramic "thingy" ( I love these technical terms!),
and was often mounted on the coil bracket. That may be why he thought it was
the resistor.

>  Is this noise
>  suppressor also a 75-76 only part which was left off the wiring diagram?
>  I assume it should be included and labelled as such?

I am not sure when the suppressor was added, but I think it should have been
shown on the schematic. It has been a source of confusion to many on this
list.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74