Re: TR3A stator tube length?

To: drew@pixar.com
Subject: Re: TR3A stator tube length?
From: George Richardson <gprtech@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 19:07:44 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
drew@pixar.com wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone know what the length of the stator tube for a TR3A with
> a non-adjustable, single piece steering column should be? On my car
> the DPO has brazed the control head to the stator tube and the only
> reason I can think of is that maybe the stator tube was cut and became
> too short. From my understanding, the control head is supposed to be
> seperate from the stator tube and slips inside the tube at the steering
> wheel. Does anyone know how far the control head engages the stator tube?
> Can anyone think of anyother reason why someone would braze the two parts
> together?
>
> Thanks,
> Drew
>
> --
> Drew Rogge
> drew@pixar.com

The stator tube is supposed to keep the control head from rotating with
the steering wheel. If the keyway formed into either the stator tube or
the control head was worn, it might allow it to move back & forth.

So the owner brazed them together to stop it. Typical DPO overkill.
--
George Richardson
'57 TR3, TS15559L

P.S. The control head went out on Friday, sorry for the delay.