Re:Spitfire on PBS

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:Spitfire on PBS
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 02:27:03 GMT
Brian writes:
>How would you like to be seen driving your Triumph Shrew!!

Ya know...in three years of reading this list I've been on the lookout
for a good name for my little red beast...  "Shrew", eh?

No....no, I just thought better of it...

Jim Ruwaldt writes:

>Well, If you compare it to its counterparts, the Midget and the Sprite,
>Shrew would be a more appropriate name.

Webster's Shrew:
1. A small mouse-like rodent with a long snout.
2. An evil-tempered, nagging woman.

Okay Ruwaldt!...fess up...what are you getting at here?  You're on
thin ground either way!  :-)

Besides...Triumph Shrews out-sold both the Sprite and Midget marques
in almost every year of production.

Midget indeed!  Is that any name for a sports car?  Where's the
romance, the history, the inspiration?  "Yes Mr. car dealer, I'll take
the Alfa Romeo Spyder Veloce, the DeTomaso Mangusta and a MIDGET."
I don't think so...  :-)

Shane "ignition-itis" Ingate writes:
>I have the video "Spitfire" produced and directed by Trevor Howard,
> from the late 1940s.

I had heard that this was a great old movie...three or four stars.
Wanted to see it long before the car came into my life...honest.
Think I'll hunt for it this weekend.

How would you rate it versus "The Taming of the Shrew"?
<opps...WAY too much coffee tonight it seems... :-)>

>Cool film.  Made me want to put rondels on the TR6, but I figure that the
>local Spit gang would just beat up on me....  :)
>        Shane Ingate in San Diego

 :-)  If you ever get a chance to visit Odd Hedberg's <sp?> website,
do so!  He had a full color drawing of a Marine Spitfire painted
across the entire bootlid of his red MkIII.  Worth the trip!

Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Shrews