Re: Spitfire on PBS

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire on PBS
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 97 09:51:49 PDT
Brian Borgstede wrote:
        > At the very end of the show, they said that the plane was
        > going to be called the Shrew, but was finally called the Spitfire.

I have the video "Spitfire" produced and directed by Trevor Howard, from the
late 1940s.  It is the story of Mitchell, the Spitfire's designer.  A really
great old movie, and would recommend it to everyone.  Though the biography
is fictional, I am sure it is 95% accurate.  In the scene where Mitchell
is trying to convince the Ministry of his rather radical ideas (Mitchell
was waaaay ahead of his time), he says that in order to defend the island
kingdom from invasionary forces, they need "a plane which spits fire and death;
the Spitfire!".

Cool film.  Made me want to put rondels on the TR6, but I figure that the
local Spit gang would just beat up on me....  :)

        Shane Ingate in San Diego