TR3A?

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3A?
From: "Nigel West, Physiology" <west@skyway.usask.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:09:26 -0600
        I purchased a small mouth TR3 last year. The car is a runner with all
panels intact. However, I am beginning to have my doubts as to whether it is a
small mouth and would be interested in some input from those who know! Points
making me wonder are as follows:

1. Commission plate is large, square TS16321L, but was over  two  small
coloured rectangles that were obviously covered when the car was resprayed at
some time. Therefore, I suspect it originally had a small plate. The car is
overdrive - I don't know if this would be mentioned on the plate. Engine
number, TS-18687E seems to tally with commission number - at least according to
the books I've read.

2. Car has a five light back valance panel.

3. There are is no sign of bolt mountings for aeroscreens.

4. Front disks have dirt shields.

5. Doors look to be originals and have handles.

6. Late type mirror

7. Chrome rocker cover

8. Boot lid has handle - looks original lid judging by paint.

9. There are bolts holding the windscreen posts to body not Dzus fasteners -
everything looks original panel-wise.

10. Has TR3A type bumper irons.

11. Centre fuel line out of tank, not on the RHS.

In forty years a lot can, and obviously did, happen - but am I correct in
thinking that  #3 above is proof that it is a TR3A?  The vendor is convinced it
is a small mouth - possibly with the GT option. The car is in good restorable
condition but, being a scientist and therefore anal to the n'th degree I want
to get as close to original.

Comments ?

Nigel West,
Professor, Physiology,