Re: TR3A?

To: "Nigel West, Physiology" <west@skyway.usask.ca>
Subject: Re: TR3A?
From: drew@pixar.com
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:56:07 -0700 "TR3A?" (Sep 16, 1:09pm)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Nigel,

Just a couple of notes. My car is a 58 3A and has a commission
number of TS31476 and the engine number is a couple of hundred
later than that. I would think that either the cars comm. number
is wrong or it's not the original engine. What numbers are on
the plate(s) above the battery box? Could the commision number
really be TS18321L instead of TS16321L? This would make the engine
number closer to what I would expect.

If the overdrive was original then the commision number would be
something like TS16321L  O.

Some very late TR3 had five lights in the back but I think that TS16321
would be too early for this. I'd have to check but I think the first
3A what around comm. number TS22xxx.

Try to look at the underside of the scuttle to see if the holes for the
aeroscreen have been filled. My TR3A has the holes.

>From what I understand, the GT option was only offered on cars that
had a hardtop. If this is the case then you should at least see holes
in the top of the windshield frame (if it's original) for the front
mounting brackets and holes on either end of the center tonneau rail
for the rear mounting bolts of the hardtop. Again any of this could
have been replaced over the life of the car.

What side is the hydraulic switch for the brakelights on? I'm pretty
sure that my '56 TR3s that I had had the switch on the left side of
the car where as my TR3A has it on the right. But I don't know when
this was changed.

Not to be too pessimistic but the car seems to have lots of things which
say TR3A and only a couple which say TR3.

Drew

On Sep 16,  1:09pm, Nigel West, Physiology wrote:
> Subject: TR3A?
>
> [ plain text
>   Encoded with "quoted-printable" ] :
        I purchased a small mouth TR3 last year. The car is a runner with all
panels intact. However, I am beginning to have my doubts as to whether it is a
small mouth and would be interested in some input from those who know! Points
making me wonder are as follows:

> 1. Commission plate is large, square TS16321L, but was over  two  small
coloured rectangles that were obviously covered when the car was resprayed at
some time. Therefore, I suspect it originally had a small plate. The car is
overdrive - I don't know if this would be mentioned on the plate. Engine
number, TS-18687E seems to tally with commission number - at least according to
the books I've read.

> 2. Car has a five light back valance panel.
>
> 3. There are is no sign of bolt mountings for aeroscreens.
>
> 4. Front disks have dirt shields.
>
> 5. Doors look to be originals and have handles.
>
> 6. Late type mirror
>
> 7. Chrome rocker cover
>
> 8. Boot lid has handle - looks original lid judging by paint.
>
> 9. There are bolts holding the windscreen posts to body not Dzus fasteners -
everything looks original panel-wise.

> 10. Has TR3A type bumper irons.
>
> 11. Centre fuel line out of tank, not on the RHS.
>
> In forty years a lot can, and obviously did, happen - but am I correct in
thinking that  #3 above is proof that it is a TR3A?  The vendor is convinced it
is a small mouth - possibly with the GT option. The car is in good restorable
condition but, being a scientist and therefore anal to the n'th degree I want
to get as close to original.

--
Drew Rogge
drew@pixar.com