Re: TR3 wirinbg harness

To: Paulpop@ssnet.com
Subject: Re: TR3 wirinbg harness
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 15:54:53 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 Paulpop@ssnet.com wrote:

> I have had a partial wiring harness meltdown due to a short in one part of
> the system ... the high beam switch, installed by a mechanic I thought knew
> what he was doing.  I own a '57 TR3...wondering just how difficult
> putting in a new harness would be if I had the harness, wiring diagram, time
>and a bit of
> patience?  A local mechanic wants to charge me 16 hours times $60/hr for
> this job.  What do you all think?

I'd say "Just do it", but that's a trademarked phrase, so I'll just say
that there's no good reason not to. It's really not all that involved:
ignition, charging, a couple of light circuits and a (very) few
accessories).

I recommend getting your workshop manual to an enlarging copier and make
copies of the wiring diagram just as large and clear as you possibly can.
Tack it up on your garage wall as a reference.  It's even easier with the
older TRs as the wiring diagrams are more "realistic" in layout as opposed
to later, "schematic-style" diagrams. You could even take the time to
"color" it if you have access to some markers or a big "64" box of
Crayolas. Believe me, it helps!

Also, as a precaution, make careful notes as you remove what's left of the
old harness. Note colors and where and how they go, and especially routing
and orientation of harnesses and bits thereof. Blow a roll or two of film
even before you start. It might be hard to photograph under the dashboard,
but whatever visual reference you can give yourself will be worth it.

I'm not absolutely sure it would take 16 hours for anyone to do the job
right, but I certainly wouldn't pay $60/hr for work that should be easy
and rewarding, although tedious. Of course, if you happen to be
color-blind, all bets are off! :-)

--Andy