Re: battery venting

To: tom.omalley@channel1.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, bschwartz@encad.com
Subject: Re: battery venting
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 18:44:17 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-15 23:35:47 EDT, tom.omalley@channel1.com writes:

> Barry...this sound like a Dan Masters question but I'll jump in here
>  with a guess or two if you'll permit.  One thought is that you're
>  overcharging the battery due to a malfunctioning regulator.  Seems
>  unlikely if the regulator is built into your alternator <replaced>.
>
>  I suppose the other possibility is that you have something draining
>  down the battery when the car is not being used for weeks at a time.
>  The startup/recharge cycle might be generating the gas.  Try putting
>  an ammeter in series with a battery post/cable to look for any current
>  draw with the car and all accessories off.

That's exactly the same answer I would've given, Tom. I would add one thing
to it, though, Barry. If it were me, I would not spend another minute on
trying to diagnose the problem - I would take it straight to a
battery/alternator dealer, and have them check it. They have the automated
equipment to do a detailed test of the entire charging system, it's usually
free, and takes only a few minutes. It is rather difficult to do the testing
at home, without the required equipment.

As to the alternator overcharging, with an internal regulator, that's exactly
the failure mode of the last alternator I replaced, which had an internal
regulator. Even though it's internal, the regulator is still a solid state
device, with resisters, transisters, capacitors, etc, and can fail.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74