battery venting

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: battery venting
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 03:43:50 GMT
Barry writes:

>While doing all the work on the brakes (GT6) Sunday, I noticed that the
>battery was venting periodically all day.  I would hear a hiss or small
>whistle from the battery at several intervals.  I probably wouldn't have
>pondered much about this except that I have always had trouble with this
>battery/car spitting fluid and running dry.

Barry...this sound like a Dan Masters question but I'll jump in here
with a guess or two if you'll permit.  One thought is that you're
overcharging the battery due to a malfunctioning regulator.  Seems
unlikely if the regulator is built into your alternator <replaced>.

I suppose the other possibility is that you have something draining
down the battery when the car is not being used for weeks at a time.
The startup/recharge cycle might be generating the gas.  Try putting
an ammeter in series with a battery post/cable to look for any current
draw with the car and all accessories off.

>In another note the tires, seven years old, have very small cracks all
>around the surface (look like age cracks) close to the rim.  Anything to
>worry about?  The little voice in the back of my head (which I seldom
>listen to but should more often) says not to worry, but I'm not a tire
>engineer thought someone else may have a little more insight than I -
>Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Don't know the answer to this one either, but two years ago I had some
fun with old tires.  My Spit came with Pirellis that had plenty of
tread but fairly good size cracks in the sidewalls.  I would not call
these "small". Talked to my tire guy/friend and he said he's seen 'em
last for years in that condition with no ill effects.

The first really hot day of summer the left front blew out at 40mph.
From the sidewall.  I walked three miles home not because I had no
spare, but no jack small enough to get under the car. :-(

One hour later the car was rolling again...30 minutes later the right
rear tire blew out.  Long day, that one...
New rubber all around now, thank you!

Cheers!

Tom O'Malley
'74, '77 Spits