Battery venting

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Battery venting
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:17:47 -0700
While doing all the work on the brakes (GT6) Sunday, I noticed that the
battery was venting periodically all day.  I would hear a hiss or small
whistle from the battery at several intervals.  I probably wouldn't have
pondered much about this except that I have always had trouble with this
battery/car spitting fluid and running dry.  I have replaced the
alternator, tried a different battery, and frankly am getting tired of
cleaning the affected areas with baking soda every time the battery does
this.  Those louvers are a real pain!  I will get another plastic battery
box and turn it upside down over the battery to prevent this from happening
any more.  The battery is a fairly new Die Hard, and the car hasn't been
run in a couple of weeks.  Any ideas as to why this battery is doing this.
In another note the tires, seven years old, have very small cracks all
around the surface (look like age cracks) close to the rim.  Anything to
worry about?  The little voice in the back of my head (which I seldom
listen to but should more often) says not to worry, but I'm not a tire
engineer thought someone else may have a little more insight than I -

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )