Re: Smog question

To: steveb@verity.com
Subject: Re: Smog question
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 97 08:42:47 PDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Steve Benelisha wrote:
        > [snip]
        > ...lent me his handheld emissions tester. It was a small unit that
        > had a gauge that could be selected to measure either HC or CO. It was
        > powered by AC (120V) and had a sensor that went up the tailpipe.
        > [snip]
        > I'm interested in this because My TR6 is a '74 and it looks like I'll
        > have to keep getting it smogged a few more times.

You and me together, Steve (I have a '74 too!).  With the final implementation
of SMOG Check II in California on Dec 1, 1997, your handheld meter and the
tri-gas testers that can be bought surplus for a song may be of questionable
benefit.  Aside from the fact that they are not calibrated (as are the
State-endorsed units) against a rigid standard, the new requirements will
be for testing emissions of HC, CO, CO2, O2 and NOX *under load* (ie, on
a dynometer, or rolling road in the Queens vernacular).  I have seen no
data for vehicles tested in this manner, so cannot say if the results
will be different from the current static tests at 2500rpm.  My gut
feeling is that they will be, especially on older cars where there
may be more drag from old bearings, brakes, etc.

The handheld device and surplus garage equipment (there will be lots of them
available Dec 1) will provide a first glimpse at an engines "state-of-health",
but until we see some data comparing the old static with the new dynamic tests,
I would be wary of handing out shekels for such a unit.

Testing for allowable NOX emissions is another kettle of fish.

SMOG Check II - coming to a state near you.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego