Road Atlanta Historics

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Road Atlanta Historics
From: vitesse@juno.com (Hugh R McAleer)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 16:06:58 EDT
Some great weather, fairly hot racing....or was it some great racing,
fairly hot weather?

Either way it was a great day at the track.  Didn't see anyone from the
list but did see some great racing.  I tried to find Ralph Thomas a few
times but never was able to be at the right place at the right time.  He
was there, without the Trans Am Vitesse.  He was driving his MGB.

There were a few Triumphs and they looked like they were having a blast.
2 GT6s, 2 Spitfires, a TR4, 4A, and a 3B were all that I was able to
find.

I wasn't able to get all Saturdays' qualifying sessions provisional
times, but I'll pass on the few that I did get....of course focusing on
the Triumphs only!

Class   Car             fast time       Average Speed

SA              '74 Spitfire    2:01.821        74.469
SA      '69 GT6         DNS
2H      '69 GT6         1:47.768        84.180
2H      '62 TR4         1:47.985        84.011
2H      '65 TR4         2:02.436        74.095
2H      '60 TR3         2:02.974        73.771

The 2H GT6 was 2nd place....bested by Ralph Thomas in the MGB with a time
of 1:47.631.  The SA Spitfire was first in class.

FWIW best time of those that I was able to get?
Qualifying time '86 Porsche 962 1:21.122
Fastest lap of the day Same as above - 1:20.071

Proves nothing though, because this is just some of the qualifying
times....Work got in the way of going back up today to see what happened
at the end of the weekend.

 All in all, nothing quite as neat as the smells, the dirt ( good ole'
red Georgia clay ) and feeling the ground shake as the race cars go by as
a day at Road Atlanta.

I'll be there for the whole weekend for the ARRC....any one going to
that?

Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA
'68 TR 250, owned since 1980