Re: Spitfire 1500 engine stalling

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 engine stalling
From: bharris <harris88@rochester.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 22:52:13 -0400
Mark Hendricks wrote:

> I need advice!  I'm a new subscriber to this list serve.  I need some
> suggestions about my 1976 Spitfire 1500.  The engine has a bad habit of
> completely stalling out while at cruise going down the road in 4th gear.  The
> stalling is all of a sudden. The engine does not sputter at all, it just
>quits.
>  It will start up after a few hours most times, other times it will start up
> right away.  Most times it seems to happen on hot or humid days.  I don't
> really see the problem too much in the late fall months when it is cooler.  My
> instinct was...Vapor Lock.  I've seen several mechanics about it, but they
> don't seem to think it is a vapor lock problem.  Any Ideas on what other
>things
> it could be, or is it vapor lock.  (any cures?)  Thankyou in advance!
> Mark Hendricks
> Spitfire 1500

 Mark,
      Your problem sounds like ignition failure to me.Do you have the
origional ignition system in your spitfire? Altho mine still worked I
replaced it with an allison unit in an older points type dist.Many
people had warned me of the origional system failing in the manner you
describe.But I would check for spark the next time it fails,If no
spark,and there is power to the coil(approx 8 volts at pos term with key
on) then I would bet on coil or ignition breaker system. I believe the
Bentley manual has a good troubleshooting section on the origional
ignition system a very good investment for any LBC owner.
                                       Good Luck,
                                       Bob Harris
                              76 Spitfire FM45276U