Reflections on The British Invasion, Stowe, VT(long)

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Reflections on The British Invasion, Stowe, VT(long)
From: Keith Ehrlich <75452.105@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 10:41:14 -0400
Ah, but it was still a great time. It was a great excuse for one last 225
mile run on Friday with top down all the way through the mountains of New
Hampshire and Vermont, proving that my TR6 holds up on the long runs.
Riding back the distance  in the rain for the first time proved that the
leaks were limited to just the expected ones over the windshield ( ie the
windshield itself , air intakes , doors, etc were all water tight) and also
proved that the windshield wipers work on both speed settings for extended
periods..  Oil consumption seems to be limited to about 1 qt per 4,000
miles at a steady 65 MPH when extrapolated. What a thrill.  I blew out my
muffler somewhere in the last 100 miles or so, now giving me the excuse to
upgrade complete exhaust system this winter ( querry post to come).  I got
to see firsthand the scope of this show-if this was the turnout in the
rain( I agree, looked like around 400 cars to me), a sunny weekend must be
awesome. I counted 35 TR6's, more TR8's than I imagined were on the road,
loads of 3's, 4's, 250's and Spits. Plenty of other marques to while away
the day. Sure it was cold and rainy and windy-but the PA announcer put it
all in perspective when he said "Hey, its just like jolly old England." For
the $35 entry fee, we got 3  beers free, Friday nite dinner in the form of
hot appetizers, two bottles of Maquires waxes and the car on the field-a
good deal.  This event does not seem widely promoted in this forum or among
some of the clubs, but I must say its well worth attending. It was fun to
discover that the listers who attended were made of flesh, not silicone. I
also got to see my first TR6 PI thanks to Chris Bullock-cool car Chris.
Congrats to Henry Frye who had the guts to flog his newly gasketed TR3 all
the way from Connecticut.  I met Dick Burger from British Parts Connection
-he's just as you would expect.  Also, hats off to the Canadians,
especially the folks from Quebec. It looked like they represented about
half the TR's there and at the risk of being flamed by my own countrymen,
their cars, taken as a group, really seemed to be above par. I guess the
main disappointment for me was that the rain kept the bonnets down and the
hoods up so I didn't get much chance to see and  learn about new ideas and
angles.  Oh well-next year!

Keith Ehrlich
74 TR6