Re: British Plates

To: Chris Bullock <bullobc@vtxix.slg.eds.com>, "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: British Plates
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:20:47 -0400 "British Plates" (Sep 22, 3:14pm)
> Subject: British Plates
> Afternoon from sunny Vermont (sure wasn't this weekend!),
>
> An English fellow came by my car at the show this weekend, and was looking
> at the British tags on my PI.  He pondered aloud for a moment, then said
> 'hmmm, a 1970 TR6' - and he hadn't looked at the show tag with the car's
> info, so I asked him how he knew that.
>
> My plate, BYK 9H, apparently indicates that YK is the region, and the H
> designates Aug, 1970 through July, 1971 - how about that!  They're black in
> the front and back as well - apparently didn't change to yellow in the rear
> until after 1970.  Any of the UK listers add some more detail here for me?
>  My heritage certificate says the car was dispatched to Guy Salmon Ltd in
> Teddington, Middlesex in late July of 1970.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris Bullock
> Colchester, Vermont
>
> 1970 RHD TR6 PI  CP51686 O
>  _______________________________________
> |   ___  __      _ _  _  _  __          |
> |    |   |_\  |  | |  |\/|  |_\  |_|    |
> |    |   |\   |  |_|  |  |  |    | |    |
> |_______________________________________|
>   \                                  /
>    \   I  N  J  E  C  T  I  O  N    /
>     \______________________________/
>-- End of excerpt from Chris Bullock

Chris,

He was right. My Spit's original plates are DRW65L, signifying it
was registered between 1 Aug 72 and 31 Jul 73. Registered in Coventry
as denoted by the 'RW'. The silver/white on black plates were acceptable
through 31 Dec 1972, after which it was required to have yellow/black
on the rear and white/black on the front.

Cheers,

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net
dmitchel@ford.com