Re: British Plates

To: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Subject: Re: British Plates
From: William Davies <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 19:56:41 -0700
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
"Mr. Mike" Passaretti wrote:

> So what would a '65 TR-4 from coventry have worn?
>
> (He says, thinking of vanity plates that nobody
>  but him would get)
>                                                 -MM

Mike,
        Off the top of my head, Coventry codes are RW, VC and DU, but there are
probably others. The works racing Spitfires used DU codes, eg ADU 5 B.
This was a 1964 registration, 1965 would have been ADU 5 C. The works
TR4s carried VC plates, eg 4 VC, but these were pre-suffix plates from
1962. Essentially, a "correct" plate would read like ARW 123 C. The
first letter of the code should be quite low in the alphabet, these
plates were issued sequentially, so it is unlikely that, for example,
XRW 999 C was ever issued. Incidentally, the numerals were not all three
digit combinations (as I previously implied), but numbers from 1 to 999.
        Regards,
                Bill
--

    ^================^      This Message sent by:
=====U==============U=====  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
\________________________/  1966 Herald 1200 Convertible
 | |                  | |   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup
 |_|                  |_|   1975 Spitfire 1500