Re: TR3A compression numbers?

To: drew@pixar.com
Subject: Re: TR3A compression numbers?
From: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 13:08:27 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
drew@pixar.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Last weekend I did a compression check on my TR3A and came up
> with 160 lbs, 165, 148 160 for cylinders 1 thru 4. Except to
> # 3 being a bit out of step with the others the numbers don't
> seem too bad to me. What kind of numbers are other people seeing?

Drew,

I did a compression test on my TR3B (TR4 engine) a few weeks before the
head gasket blew, and I got 180, 175, 180, 160. I was concerned it was
too high, indicating lots of carbon build up, but I got from a source I
deem very reliable the 4 cylinder TR engines should run about 180 PSI.
It sure made me feel good. But...

Sure enough, the head gasket went on the #4 cylinder. When I pulled the
head, I had no carbon accumulation to speak of, so my compression
readings were pretty indicative of my impending problem.

BTW, the #4 combustion chamber was _real_ clean, no carbon at all.

I didn't do a leak-down test, but I thought about it. That might have
given me a better handle on the about to blow head gasket.

All this makes me think about why my head gasket blew. Those interested,
look for my next post...
--
 Henry Frye            E-mail - thefryes@iconn.net
 TR3B   TCF1927 L   http://www.iconn.net/thefryes/