Attention of Johnny Storm,the one & only!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Attention of Johnny Storm,the one & only!
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 20:11:26 -0400 (EDT)
Johnny Storm said "P.S Leon, how many times has the Vitesse been tuned since
stafford?!:-)"
None,actually Johnny,in fact as a point of interest,it wasn't even tuned at
Stafford.
What they did was to look at the Triple Weber Carb linkages and tell me they
were next to useless,the kit I have fitted are the usual bits from Triumph
Tune/Moss Europe. The long brass 'link-bar' runs directly in the aluminum of
the inlet manifolds,and the three steel 'link-arms' which connect the brass
'link-bar' to the three Weber carbs are held onto the brass bar by being
clamped with nuts & bolts that have a disturbing tendency to work
loose,causing the carbs to go out of synch'
Furthermore,the front carb is moving up and down very slightly due to the
wrong type of thick O-rings being supplied and to make matters worse,the new
throttle cables are sticking.
As the car only ran for the first time in April,and attended its' first club
event in May,I had only put 500 miles on it before setting off for the
Standard Triumph European Rally in Holland at the end of May.A trip on which
the car ran virtually without any problems,except for a troublesome Lucas
Stag fusebox,since replaced with a Bosch/Hella item which I cannot recommend
highly enough.
Since then I have been carefully running the car in,and have recently,thanks
to the invaluable advice on this superb list,managed to stop it smoking by
simply removing that stupid oil hose designed to send extra oil up to the
rocker shaft from the main oil gallery.(another item bought of Triumph Tune,I
may add).
I also insulated the gearbox cover also as suggested on this list,another
great idea.
Now my car has covered 2265 miles and the engine is freeing-up nicely,so
after my friends from The Triumph Sports Car Club of Southern
Africa,(Pretoria Chapter),have gone home in mid-October,I'll be removing the
inlet manifolds for some re-engineering of the carb & throttle linkages with
a new Stainless Steel Link-bar & Oilite Phosphor-Bronze Bushings to be fitted
into the inlet manifold turrets,with new (narrow) O-rings,and new Cosworth
type button washers instead of Thackeray washers and new American TWM Carb
'Link Arms' ...and new nylon-lined throttle cables.
Once that's all back on again and running,then & only then,will I take the
Vitesse to the Rolling Road/Dynometer for some proper tuning & setting up.
OK,Johnny? 8->