Re: Soft brakes fix

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Soft brakes fix
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 06:44:03 -0700
>try removing the filler cap on the master cylinder, then pumping the
>pedal until it is firm. Now brace the pedal with a plank of wood (or
>whatever comes to hand) against the seat or any fixed point in the car.
>Leave for several hours
********************************
The only thing I wouldn't do is leave the cap off for that long.  Dot 4 is
hydroscopic, meaning it WILL absorb moisture out of the air, contaminating
the system.  I don't see why you couldn't leave the cap on, maybe unscrewed
a little bit.  The cap has an air bleed hole in it and any air that is
released would vent through this hole.  That is of course, unless your
trying to release the 'Girling Gremlin', and possibly he/she doesn’t fit
through the vent hole? :-}

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )