tr6 diff seals

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr6 diff seals
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:02:37 -0600
Yesterday there was a post expressing concern that replacing the diff
seals on a TR6 may not be as straightforward as Bentley suggests. In
fact, according to TRF (?) there is risk of damaging the diff by
altering the tolerances of the internal parts while replacing the seals
(I think the original poster asked only about the pinion seal and did
not mention the inner axle seals). And that the selas hsould not be
touched until a full rebuild is undertaken.

I have seen no replies to this post. Since I was also planning on
replacing the seals (pinion _and_ inner axle) on my diff this winter, I
am very alarmed by this suggestion. Is the concern valid? Or can one
replace the seals without disrupting the parts which rely on the close
tolerances?

Could someone with knowledge of this topic please educate the rest of
us?

Much appreaciated as always!

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)