Re: Flashin' Lights, Radar, & the Autobahn

To: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>, James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Subject: Re: Flashin' Lights, Radar, & the Autobahn
From: morris@ttad.org (Morris, Tommy)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 10:53:38 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jim,

        I hope you don't mind my opinion but.......I agree as a whole that
American drivers aren't as skilled as European drivers are. I also think
They have good and bad drivers just as we do. though they are required to
go through some pretty intense driving courses. There are still the ones
that are a little below average and Such that politics are.... they paid
there fee's and met the minimum requirements. I just think at the higher
speeds the DUMB ones die through attrition, thus increasing the number of
skilled drivers overall in European countries.
        I also think the speed Laws were designed to protect all of us
particularly the rubberneckers of the World... can you imagine cruising at
a mere 220 kmh and suddenly coming up on a rubbernecker who just happens to
be stopped in the left lane to admire a new strain of purple japanese
beetle (when the sign clearly states min speed 80kmh)the sign clearly
doesn't pertain to the rubbernecker but a speed limit helps to keep us at a
safe speed  allowing us enough time to stop. Thus keeping the skilled
drivers from becoming part of the "dumb ones statistics.

And by the way I almost almost didn't get stopped in time, luckily the
German farmer liked Americans and hated rubberneckers. He didn't mind my
untimely pitstop in his field.....

Cheers,

Tommy Morris
74 Spit

At 11:32 PM 9/25/97 -0400, Sholtes IV wrote:
>James Charles Ruwaldt wrote:
>
>> Why, if speed laws are so well-thought out, is the speed unlimited on the
>> Autobahnen, where the country is so much smaller than ours?
>> Jim Ruwaldt
>> '72 TR6 CC79338U
>> Bloomington, IN
>

>Jim,
>
>    I would like to say that Germany may be smaller than the U.S., but that
>dosen't change the fact that American drivers aren't as skilled as European
>drivers are.  I don't know this firsthand, but I've heard it enough to
beleive
>it.  I know, you drive well, I drive well, and everyone on this list is an
>excellent driver- hell, one guy here even is an International Race Car
Driver!