Re: RX-7 conversion

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Subject: Re: RX-7 conversion
From: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 22:56:46 -0400
Cc: "CAMHI ALAN (Return requested)" <camhi@symbol.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net (Return requested)" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Vincenti, Ross wrote:

>  ----------------------------------
> John wrote:
> My dream engine swap??  Mitsubishi 2.6 intercooled FI turbo 4 cylinder
> and 5 speed from a Starion/Conquest.  Bet you could even swap in the
> rear end too!  An ex-girlfriend had one and I've loved the motor since.
> Big kick in the pants at 3500 RPM!
> ===========
> John - I drove one of those once, and that's probably a good swap, although
> I would be concerned about the size of the bellhousing and the tranny -
> you'd probably have to modify the frame to get it to fit.

I've seriously considered this swap, and while I haven't gone so far as
to measure everything, I *have* done an "eyeball transplant", and it
looks viable.  No bolt-in, but not brain surgery either.  Maybe a little
clearancing here and there, but possible.  I suppose if you're going
*that* far, a nice tube frame with an integral cage might be a nice
alternative.  <sigh>, My dream Spit....  Sort of a poor-mans Cobra.

> Barry Schwartz
> is the "Spit Swap God" in my book - imagine, a 150 bhp (give or take) Ford
> V6 stuffed in a 1600 pound LBC originally designed for 70 to 75 bhp!
> Crimony, must be scary as all hell to drive (even with the Quaif).

Think *That's* a handful?!?!  There's some lunatic with a V8 Spitfire,
left-coaster at that!  Maybe you've seen it at some of the shows?  He's
on the web at http://www.westpro.com/Beast.html  It's quite a piece of
work, although it loses something in the process...  Must accelerate
like those wacky V8 motorcycles you see in Daytona!

John

--
Come see us on the Web!
http://www.jacksonville.se.mediaone.net/~suchak/home.htm