Re: RX-7 conversion

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: RX-7 conversion
From: Mike Ginter SA <mike@spitfire.stortek.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 20:54:38 -0600 (MDT)
On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, SUCHAK wrote:

> CAMHI ALAN wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I had an 87 RX-7 factory turbo version of this car.  What a screamer.
> > I can absolutely confirm that it can be taken to very high RPMs with no
> > damage and is an extremely reliable engine.  Plus there are so many
> > around, parts are quite easy to find.
> >
> > If you are deciding to exchange piston for rotary, Look into a turbo
> > version(they are hard to find but well worth the search).  The boost you
> > get going from 3-6000 RPMs is incredible.  There is some lag but when it
> > kicks in...hold on.   Plus the whine the turbine makes is really cool.
> >
> > Just fashion a hood scoop for the air intake and you are set to go.
> >
> > Just my two cents.  I think it would be kind of cool(even though it
> > detracts from the charm of the original car).
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Alan Camhi
> > '65 TR4
>

> My dream engine swap??  Mitsubishi 2.6 intercooled FI turbo 4 cylinder
> and 5 speed from a Starion/Conquest.  Bet you could even swap in the
> rear end too!  An ex-girlfriend had one and I've loved the motor since.
> Big kick in the pants at 3500 RPM!
>
> Just my 2 cents
>
> John
>

> --
> Come see us on the Web!
> http://www.jacksonville.se.mediaone.net/~suchak/home.htm

Not as much pure raw power as the Mitsu, but the old standard 1.8 water
cooled Corrado with G-lader blower in a TR or Spit would be too cool.
Smooth consistant power throughout the rpm range, V8 sounding rumble at
idle.  Could climb mountains (that's mountains, not hills) like a bat outa
hell.  Wait a minute... tranny will eventually need a re-build, wonder how
long that old 1500 will last, rearend from.... that'll be another story.

Mike
79 Spit