Re: emissions

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: emissions
From: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 13:25:22 -0500 (EST)
Again, I think people are missing the point.  I was referring to people
who remove emission controls and claim that they get improved horsepower,
when the primary drain on horsepower is the reduced compression.
As I said before, the removal of emission controls results in only a
slight improvement in horsepower.  Some day I hope to increase my
compression ratio and possibly improve the fuel system, while at the same
time installing the necessary technology to maintain acceptable emissions.
I wonder if the testers check compression ratios and spark timing to see
if they're correct for the model year?  Probably not, so, as long as you
get your emissions down sufficiently, you should be all right, unless you
replaced you fuel system.  I agree, their methods suck and seem in part to
miss the point.  I wonder if anyone knows why they check for the emissions
devices?
Jim Ruwaldt
'72 TR6 CC79338U
Bloomington, IN