Re: Stag U-Joints

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Stag U-Joints
From: bunce@alma.edu (Mark A. Bunce)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:07:54 -0400
>Help!!
>
>I was trying to replace all of the u-joints on my 1973 Stag this weekend
>and when I looked at the half axle u-joints they were "staked" rather
>than held in place with cir-clips.
>
>The factory workshop manual does not show a service for these u-joints
>but the parts manual shows them as being held in with the cir-clips.
>
>Am I now stuck replacing the entire half axle so that I don't have to use
>24 year old u-joints? Has anyone else run into this problem?
>
>Is there a problem if I machine the old yokes to hold a cir-clip so that
>I can replace them in the future?
>
>Larry Miceli
>'76 TR6
>'73 Stag
>'66 Herald

Hi Larry,
I'm new to the list, but have had a 1970 Spit MkIII since 1976. Since its
engine was blown and
small animals living under the dash, I have done a lot of car work. I  ran
into the same thing on
a 78 K5 Blazer 4X4  front shaft. The end caps were held in by injected
plastic. The replacement
from the auto shop was the same shaft with machined in grooves. The only
problem would be
if there is enough metal in the yoke to take the machining.

Mark Bunce
St. Louis, MI
1970 Spit MkIII  (Got it out for the first time in 7 years on Sunday)