RE: TR6 hood cables

To: "'Dave Terrick'" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Subject: RE: TR6 hood cables
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:56:56 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
The hood release is _supposed_ to mount vertically. The replacement ones
are made so that they only mount horizontally. I agree, there is no room
(at least not in my car) for a horizontal mount. Dave at TRF told me
yesterday that the manufacturer refuses to make them in the other
orientation although TRF has tried to convince them to do so.

BTW, here is a tip to make the hood easier to open, just did this last
night. If it seems like the hood release is still "sticky" even though
when the cable is not attached to the release mechanism it pulls easily
and smoothly, try this: loosen the bolt attached to the hood which
inserts into the release mechanism when the hood is closed. On mine this
was screwed too far into the hood making the fit really tight when the
hood is in the closed position. By loosening the srew a couple of turns,
it allows the release lever to move much easier during the opening
action. This way strain on the cable (which is what undoubtedly leads to
the breakage) will be minimized. Just make sure the bolt is tight enough
so that the hood stays shut without bouncing up and down.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada