Re: Spitfire tank float

To: MR THOMAS JONES <TJYD20A@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire tank float
From: Rick deOlazarra <cattail@slip.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 1997 22:08:22 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
MR THOMAS JONES wrote:

> I just bought a 79 spitfire which seems to be in quite good shape.
> Being
> new at this, I will probably ask lots of really basic questions, so
> any of
> you who are hesitant to be seen as uninformed, relax; I've got you
> covered.
>
> Okay, here goes.  The fuel guage didn't work,so I removed the sender
> and
> found that the float had a leak and was full of gasoline and
> therefore, not
> surprisingly, not floating.  I see where the Roadster Factory sells
> the whole
> sender unit, but not the float alone, which is all I need.
>
> 1)  Does anyone know where I could order just the float
>
> 2) better yet, has anyone ever repaired a float.  There is just
> a little whole in it, where it is held in place by the loop arm.
> Anyone have a recommendation on a bonding material that I could
> repair the whole with?
>
> Thanks and be ready for some really dumb questions.  I am working up
> my courage
> to ask some real yuckers.
>
> Thom Jones
> 1979 Spit

  Replaced mine awhile back...I don't believe you can get the float by
itself; so a new float means buying the entire unit. Can't suggest any
specific sealing material or method for the float you now have, but one
thing to consider is that the added weight of a sealent may throw off
the reading at the guage, making it show an "emptier" reading, which, I
imagine, could be compensated for by making a VERY SLIGHT bend in the
float arm/rod. In the end, the important thing is not so much what the
guage reads when the tank is full, but that it accurately reads empty
when the tank's empty.