Re: Spitfire tank float

To: "MR THOMAS JONES" <TJYD20A@prodigy.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire tank float
From: "Vic Whitmore" <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 14:39:26 -0500
Been there...dun that. Same problem that I had with my 76 Spit. I removed
the float. Then squeezed it gently and the gas came out the original
hole(s). I had the hole located. That was the easy part.
To get the remainder out, I drilled a small hole (e.g. 1/16) and drained
the rest. Using the plastic top off an old margarine (or similar
container), I welded the plastic into/over the hole using an Weller
soldering gun with a plastic welding tip. The tip is flat and spreads the
heat out across a larger area than the soldering tip. Just feed in strips
of the plastic top just like soldering. Try to fill in the small hole and
cover it slightly.
Worked for me and my gauge still works since I performed the surgery.

Vic Whitmore
76 Triumph Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario