Re: Why trunnions?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Why trunnions?
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 16:29:08 +0000

Jim

I once saw it suggested that trunnions improve cornering.  As they are handed
parts, when the steering wheel is turned one front wheel rises slightly and the
other is lowered - this is supposed to counteract the roll of a car during
cornering.

eg Right hand bend on your favourite back road - you turn the wheel right and
the weight of the car moves left.  However, the left trunnion is lifting this
side while the right one is lowering helping (in theory) to keep the front end
more square to the road.

Personally I don't think it's the case as the amount of vertical movement is
probably no more than 1/2 inch and I can't see how this is enough to make a
noticeable difference.

What do you reckon?

Pat

PS If I happen to have my lefts and rights and weight transfers confused then
please excuse me - I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say.