Re: stock radio

To: William West <will_thane@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: stock radio
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 09:28:28 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, William West wrote:

> Greetings all!
>
> Does anyone know where I can find a stock radio for my 76 Spitfire?  Any
> leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
>
> Will

Will,

I have a radio that came out of a '76 Spitfire I parted down this summer.
It's marked "British Leyland", is AM/FM, and drives one speaker that was
mounted in the passenger parcel tray.  If you're interested, let me know.
I have the speaker too.

Let me warn you though:  I hooked it up and it seemed to work fine until I
smelled smoke.  Not from the radio itself, but from the +12V wire feeding
it.  For some reason, the radio was drawing a bunch of current, yet didn't
blow the fuse.  It melted along it's length right up through the harness
for about 3 feet.  I mention this for two reasons. 1) to be up-front with
you about the radio I have, and 2) to caution you on using an old radio -
Be Careful!  Since my experience, I have come across a wiring harness from
a '78 that had signs of a similar meltdown of the +12V wire to the radio.
It may not be an unusual problem with radios of this vintage.

Mike Burdick
Omaha NE