Re: dismantling advice

To: Stuart Steele <ssteele@switchsolutions.com>
Subject: Re: dismantling advice
From: "\"Mr. Mike\" Passaretti" <passaretti@sol.med.ge.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 12:10:13 -0600
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

    Stuart>     Here is something I do that might prove useful
    Stuart> to you.  I am currently slowly dismantling a
    Stuart> Mercedes turbodiesel engine, and fixing things as
    Stuart> I can afford them, so I plan on this job taking a
    Stuart> long time, longer, at least, than my memory of
    Stuart> complex operations.  I bought a small tape
    Stuart> recorder, and I record instructions for myself as
    Stuart> I take things apart.  This is a really goony thing
    Stuart> to do, I realize, but as long as neighborhood
    Stuart> children, or any of your friends, don't see you
    Stuart> doing it, you can get away with it, and it is
    Stuart> surprisingly helpful.  I write down the index
    Stuart> marks from the tape counter after each session(
    Stuart> start and stop ), with a few hints on what I did,
    Stuart> so that I can find things more easily.

Along that line, I've been toying with the idea of dropping
$100 or so on an older semi-portable camcorder (one of the
behemoths that sucked batteries and weighed 10 pounds) at one
of the refurbishers around here and mounting it up in the
garage when I start the frame-up on Sonja.  With an AC adapter
and cheap tapes, I ought to be able to keep a video log with
audio commentary very cheaply.  Supplemented with the
occasional Polaroid, I think it will make my life much easier.
It may not happen, but it's an idea, and if it does, with
judicious editing and re-dubbing over my cusswords it would
potentially be useful to other people as well.
                                                        -MM