Re: Basic Positive Ground Question

Subject: Re: Basic Positive Ground Question
From: James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:05:40 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
This is probably a primary reason, but don't positively grounded cars have
a tendency to rust more than negatively grounded cars?  Whether this is a
significant reason in the switch to negative ground, I don't know, but
what is the reason for this tendency to rust more?  I suspect that it may
be that the body and frame maintain a positive charge, while oxygen ions
are negative, thus encouraging the oxidation of the iron, which is, of
course, rusting.  Negatively grounded cars have a negative charge and
repel the oxygen ions.  Can anyone tell me if this is a correct
assumption?  I realize we're getting out of electricity/physics and into
chemistry.
Jim Ruwaldt
'72 TR6 CC79338U
Bloomington, IN