Re: Basic Positive Ground Question

To: lewis mckillop <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: Basic Positive Ground Question
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 19:46:20 -0800
Cc: spit <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
lewis mckillop wrote:

>        Jerry,
> Your instructors question is a win-win deal for you. Most of the
> "civilian" community are tought that current flows from positive to
> negative....however.....the military teaches negative to positive. The
> differences are hole flow theory (civilians) and electron flow theory
> (military). IMHO the military are on the right track.
> AT1 (AW) McKillop, Lewis
> United States Navy
> (not that i'm biased or anything)

Lew,
I have always believed as you stated that current flows from negative to
positive.  I got my electronics training in the USAF.  However, I was a
Tech Writer for several years at Texas Instrumetns and I thought they
espoused the same theory.  So I dusted off my copy of "Fundamentals of
Electricity" written by the TI Learning Center and here's what it says
in the first lesson:

"Old Ben Franklin, when he flew his kite, thought current flowed from
what he called positive to negative. However, Franklin knew nothing
about electrons.  His theory about charges is now known to be wrong, but
tradition is awfully hard to break; even today some books use Ben's
idea.   Throughout these lessons, however, current will always mean a
flow of electrons from negative to positive."

Joe Curry  '63 Spit (Negative ground)