Re: U-joint lubrication

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: U-joint lubrication
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 22:04:31 -0800
Joe Curry wrote:

> Atwell (Buff) Haines wrote:
> >
> > Learned Listers,
> >
> > As I get my Spitfire closer to being roadworthy, I was wondering about the
> > universal joints.  The car was sitting in the PO's lawn for seven years,
> > and while all the u-joints SEEM ok now, I'm sure they could benefit from
> > some lubrication.
> >
> > Is there any way to do this short of removing them?   I know some
> > universals had grease fittings on them, but these don't.
> >
> > All advise gratefully considered.
> >
> > Atwell (Buff) Haines
> > '79 Spitfire FM 96062
> >
> > Succasunna, NJ USA
> > CarBuff@scooter.net
>
> Atwell,
> If you are in a position to do so, I would suggest removal of all 4
> U-Joints.  If they have set up several years, it's a good bet that they
> are at least dried up.  If that is the case, They may feel ok when you
> rotate them, but they won't last long.
>
> Consider replacing all of them, since they are not that costly and as
> long as you have them out anyway, You'd likely be better off.
>
> I found that all 4 on my Spit were not only dried up, but also rusted on
> the inside where they could not be seen.  Don't buy them from Victoria
> British.  Go down to your local "cheapie auto parts store" They are very
> much cheaper and readily available.
>
> Joe Curry   '63 Spit
>
> IF you do just lubricate them, you must remove the cups and take wheel
> bearing grease on your finger and force it into the needles around the
> cup.  After that you must replace the cup taking care not to let any
> needles become dislodged from the outer perimeter of the cup.
> (Again, it is easier and more lasting to simply replace them)

Here's a couple more cents on this topic.  For my money, there is no better
mechanical
repair deal than the one I get from a drivetrain shop when they do my u-joints.
 I was
there just this week, in fact, with the last of my half-shaft u-j replacement
candidates
in hand.  I brought the shaft and new joint to the shop, and they did it the
same day
for 20 bucks.  No grunting and cursing from my spinning head.

One caveat:  the grease fittings on some of my replacement u-joints have been
too
long. (They hit the driveshaft yoke.)  Had to cut the head of a 1/4 inch fine
thread hex
bolt and then cut a screwdriver slot in the top of it with a hacksaw.  The plug
stays in
until I need to regrease, at which point the grease nipple goes back in.

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6