Re: U-joint lubrication

To: "Peter Zaborski" <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: U-joint lubrication
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:10:08 -0600
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I've used multiple sets from BPNW, the Spicer ones.  The engineers on
the list can probably answer this better than I, but I would think that
smaller needles equals more surface area and larger bearing surfaces.
This would be a plus. I will agree on the retaining clips however.  In
any event, I've never had a problem "down the road" with the Spicer
units. The ones to really avoid are the Quinton Hazels, which are the
most available brand.  As I've said before, QH used to be sold by JC
Whitney as aftermarket cheapo replacement parts.  Now they are sold by
VB, BPNW and others as "original".  That's where TRF comes out smelling
like roses (although they do sell QH u-joints by the boat load, they do
sell another, higher priced/quality brands well). TRF has "proper" ball
joints and tie rod ends.  As far as I know, no one else does, just QHC
(Quinton Hazel Crap).
IMHO

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net

> > Or you can get them from British Parts North West at about $12
each.
> > That's where I got mine.
> >
>       One thing about the BPNW u-joints. They are definitely not the
> same as the original ones on my TR6 were. I think OEM are Hardy
Spicer