RE: U-joint lubrication

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: U-joint lubrication
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:46:43 -0700

        <snip>

> Or you can get them from British Parts North West at about $12 each.
> That's where I got mine.

        One thing about the BPNW u-joints. They are definitely not the
same as the original ones on my TR6 were. I think OEM are Hardy Spicer
which is apparently THE brand for u-joints. The ones I got for $60 for
all 6 had at least two things I noticed which appeared to be less good
than the HS ones:

        1. The needles were substantially smaller in diameter than the
HS ones (apparently larger needles means better u-joints - up to a point
I suppose), and

        2. The spring clips from BPNW are just pure crap. I ended up
reusing my HS clips when I could and the others I got from a local drive
line company (which is where I learned that "all truckers use only HS
u-joints"). The clips I got from BPNW had no spring and would not hold
their shape once compressed into the cup.

        BTW, I have bought other stuff from BPNW (mostly poly bushings
and the switch plinth for my TR6) and the quality has always been superb
at much lower prices than the big 3. The u-joints appear to be one area
where they are cutting corners. At least if one believes that TRF does
indeed sell only HS u-joints (at $22 each!). I don't know what Moss
sells for u-joints but since their price seems close to TRF's I suspect
it's HS as well.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada