Re: mech. tach.

To: lewis mckillop <lsmc@lightspeed.net>
Subject: Re: mech. tach.
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 21:25:42 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spit <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, lewis mckillop wrote:

>     Anyway, i do have a quick question. I have two mech. tach.'s. If i
> unhook the cable from the distributor and try to turn the cable it feels
> like the tach. is frozen up. The one in the car now worked ok until
> lately. How hard should this cable be to turn? I am afraid this is what
> stripped the nylon gear in one of my distributors.

The cable should spin freely, with no binding.  If you can, unhook it from
the tach and see if it moves.

I had to remove both ends of my cable.  It had rusted inside and was
stuck.  I managed to get it to spin with some careful slicing of the
plastic housing and lots of pentrating oil drizzled in.  The cable is
pretty shot so I will invest in a new one anyway.

-Malcolm