Re: Dashboard

To: KC3565L@sprintmail.com
Subject: Re: Dashboard
From: WINDOWSEET@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 00:48:17 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

I have a solid dash in my GT6+ and although it isn't as pleasing as the
original dash it is holding up just fine. I think the only reason I would
consider going to a plastic laminate dash is if I could duplicate the
original orange tinted veneer, which I find very pleasing. I've worked with
laminates in my career as a designer and developer of kitchen and bath
cabinetry. If I find a suitable laminate I would probably use medium density
fiberboard as a substrate to minimize shrinkage and expansion from changes in
temperature and humidity. Plywood is fine too, but it's open end grain will
take on moisture and swell if not properly sealed. I don't have anything
against laminates. In fact I've seen many consumer focus groups that can't
tell laminate from real wood when they are side by side. Often they select
the laminate because it is so uniform in grain and free of natural character
marks.

I have used 3/8" plywood to replace the luggage deck, spare tire and gas tank
cover panels in my GT6+. The original factory millboard was a poor choice for
long term service. The plywood is stronger and adds some sound deadening. The
diff doesn't howl quite so loudly since I installed it!

I still believe one of the Standard Triumph buyers had a relative in the
paperboard business. Parcel shelves I can understand, but transmission
tunnels and engine valances.........they must have been having a laugh at us!

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Winnipeg MB Canada