Re: TR4 Camber

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 Camber
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 00:56:35 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 13 Nov 1997 ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks, Allen.  I have no problem with my car.  I was trying to answer a
> question posed to me by someone else.  He wanted to know how to adjust camber
> on a TR4.  What I found is that it cannot be done simply.  The manuals tell
> how to measure camber, not adjust it.  My conclusion is that camber is OK
> unless some damage has been done to the suspension or, as you suggest, the
> frame.  If that is the case then the action you recommend is appropriate.

That's correct.  There is no adjustment in the normal sense of the word.
If camber isn't within specs, then it's due to frame damage, suspension
damage, or badly sagged springs.  The correct solution is to repair the
damage.

You CAN add a bit of positive camber by shimming the removable cross-brace
that bolts between the tops of the two spring towers.  I've known it to be
done to correct negative camber due to sagged coil springs, but IMHO it
isn't a good idea. It affects both sides equally, so it doesn't help where
the camber isn't already the same on both sides.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us