Re: Ain't got no nuts... (early Spit)

To: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Subject: Re: Ain't got no nuts... (early Spit)
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 21:05:41 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Peter Ficklin wrote:

> Joe, et al...
>   The few nuts that I have are stripped out on the ends, I believe,
> because the shank portion was too short, and there wasn't enough thread
> to grab properly.  The outer diameter of these is 0.68", or about
> 11/16".  The length of the shank (or "reach", as I call it is about 1/2"
> with a washer.  Because the wheels are about 1" thick, I figure I need
> about 7/8" reach, although 3/4" might do.  The Spitfire lugs that hold
> the hubcaps on (late), you know, with the springs & washers, are just
> under 21/32" od, - too small.

Peter,

I have 2 types of lugnuts.  One set are aftermarket type and are
approximately 13/16" long and about 11/16 wide where the shank goes
through the hole.  I think these also fit my son's slotted mags on his
66 spit.  They came off a set of alloy mesh wheels I have from my 75
parts car.  THey are in pretty bad shape (finish-wise) and I don't have
a complete set.  However, I bet if a person was to take one to a wheel
supplier, he could match them up.

THe other type I believe to be the stock ones from the GT6 with the
plastic washers (also on late model Spits)  They are about 3/4 inch long
at the shank by about 5/8 " wide

Joe Curry   '63 Spit