Re: Purchasing parts via Digest

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Purchasing parts via Digest
From: Edward Hutchinson <seah@zorba.info.sunyit.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 09:19:52 -0500
Randy,

I would echo John's comments. I recently purchased a trailing arm from a
person on the list. I sent him the check at the same time he sent the
trailing arm. Worked just fine. As John said "The bottom line is that you
can usually get a
"feel" for a person and if they are genuine or otherwise through contact
while thrashing out a deal for your purchase."

Good luck

Ed

74 TR6 CF17687U

At 09:36 AM 11/14/97 GMT, you wrote:

>>To: Randy Clark <grantura@agate.net>
>>From: John Gillis <jgillis@mail.tcd.ie>
>>Subject: Re: Purchasing parts via Digest
>>Bcc:
>>>I'm negotiating with a fellow "lister" concerning the purchase of some TR
>>>parts that he has. I'm wondering what other folks have done about the actual
>>>transfer of payment and shipment goods in situations like this.
>>>
>>>Say the item is $500, and I'm the buyer...am I supposed to send a perfect
>>>stranger $500 and just keep my fingers crossed that he isn't some sort of
>>>rip off artist, or that when I get the stuff that it isn't just a bunch of
>>>trash? How have others dealt with this situation?
>>>
>>>How does COD work... I understand that when you recieve something COD From
>>>UPS that they won't let you open the package until you've paid for it?
>>>
>>>Would be interested in some feed back, and or horror stories. Is there any
>>>way to complete these purchases without either party taking on all the risk?
>>>Randy Clark
>>>Dresden ME
>>

>>Randy
>>      There is always some risk dealing blind and I am sure you are going
>>to hear horror stories. In order to keep the balance and maintain faith in
>>human nature and the overall goodness of man here is my story: I like to
>>collect original workshop manuals, but only and I stress only in pristine
>>nick. Some months ago a list member mentioned he had a manual for a Phase
>>111 Vanguard in A1 condition, he gave his asking price and anyone
>>interested was invited to mail him, he hoped to pass it to someone who
>>actually owned a Vanguard, but failing this anyone agreeing the asking
>>could have it. I contacted him and informed him I would be interested if
>>it was indeed in the condition he stated. Anyway to get to the point I
>>forwarded him a dollar draft for the sum, including postage and in no time
>>I had in my posession a manual for a Phase 3 Vanguard in even better
>>condition than I hoped.  In the end "you pays your
>>money and you takes your chances"
>>

>John Gillis
>1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
>1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
>Trinity College
>Dublin,
>IRELAND.

"If you can't get the work done in the first 24 hours, work nights."

Ed Hutchinson
Financial Aid Office
SUNY Inst. of Technology
P.O. Box 3050