Re: Towing Spitfires

To: <lwilcox@webzone.net>
Subject: Re: Towing Spitfires
From: "Brent Smith" <bsmith@inetnow.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 17:06:43 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Larry Wilcox wrote:

> Anybody on the list had any experience towing a Spitfire?  I am thinking
of
> hooking one up behind my motorhome and going touring.  I know that a lot
of
> cars have to have their drive wheels lifted on to a trailer device.  Do I
> have to do that with a Spitfire?
>
> Larry Wilcox

About fifteen years ago, I towed a '71 Spitfire Mk IV from Pennsylvania to
Oklahoma.  I was concerned about the transmission, so I disconnected the
drive shaft at the differential, moved the drive shaft forward on it's
sliding joint and wired it up and out of the way.  It didn't take long to
disconnect it or reconnect it.

Brent Smith
Atlanta, Georgia

1960 TR3A